Titanium coated frying pans – Pros and Cons, Is titanium coated cookware safe? Titanium is an ultra-light, high-strength material that is not afraid of corrosion and temperature changes. Manufacturers make travel utensils from it, which are very light and well suited for fires.
But home kitchen utensils are not made because of the high cost of production of these products. The term “titanium coated cookware” refers to a cookware with a titanium coating that gives it non-stick properties. In most cases, the layer is applied to the inner surface of the dish, but sometimes the outer part is also processed.
What is Titanium Coating Technology?
A frying pan or cookware of titanium allows you to cook food without oil. However, it requires careful handling. Such products have been used for more than 40 years and are considered reliable and safe. The pan body with a non-stick titanium coating can be made of steel, cast iron, and aluminum, with high thermal conductivity and good heat capacity. Aluminum is used most often, making products very light and comfortable for home use.
There are no uniform requirements for the non-stick coating. Non stick Cookware Manufacturers themselves decide which components are included in their composition. Titanium microparticles can be used based on polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon), ceramics in combination with polymers.
During this time, the non-stick coating technology has also been well developed. Before starting this process, the surface is wholly degreased and sandblasted. It improves the adhesion of the coating to the base surface and improves corrosion resistance.
3-methods are used to apply a non-stick layer. They are-
- Roller Reel
- Application with a veiler
1. Roller Roll Method
This method applies titanium to blank disks by repeatedly rolling rubber rollers over them. 4-5 roller installations are used. Next, the pan is fired in an oven at 430° C. And only then the product acquires the necessary shape.
The dishes produced by such a high-performance method have a low price. However, the thin non-stick layer reduces the pans’ wear resistance. In addition, the coating is not completely smooth due to the marks left by the rollers.
2. Veiler Application Method
This method involves applying titanium to flat stamped discs with a particular machine – a veiler. It releases a liquid that covers the surface of the aluminum discs in the form of a veil.
This method of coating is suitable for performance. Products become exceptionally wear-resistant, resistant to abrasion, and have good non-stick properties.
3. Spray Method
This method can be applied to both stamped and cast products. The coating can be applied already to the finished dishes. The application of non-stick material with this method uses special pneumatic spray guns. They can be both manual and automatic.
The paint is sprayed with a stream of compressed air onto the aluminum cookware inside, providing it with excellent adhesion. This method is the most effective, providing the best wear resistance, surface smoothness, and high non-stick properties.
A variation of this method is plasma spraying, which allows you to make a durable titanium-ceramic coating. You can use a titanium frying pan made in this way for both the stove and the oven.
Is Titanium Coated Cookware Safe?
Yes! Titanium non-stick cookware are safe for health. When properly used, they do not react with food and do not emit harmful substances. To be completely sure of their safety, you should follow some rules:
- Do not heat empty pans or pots.
- Do not exceed the cooking temperature of more than 250 ° C
- Use the hood even when cooking at low and medium heat.
- Do not clean with abrasive materials. They scratch the coating, and the separated particles can harm the body.
Even with careful handling of titanium pans, manufacturers recommend changing them periodically. An alternative to non-stick cookware can be stainless steel products.
Is Tefal Titanium Coating Safe?
The quality of non-stick titanium cookware largely depends on the manufacturer. The French company Tefal has proven itself best in this market. Its most popular developments are titanium frying pans.
“Public Health Authorities in Europe and in the United States have demonstrated that PTFE is an inert substance with no effect on health, even in the case of ingestion.” T-fal
- Titanium Pro Tefal – its ceramic surface has good resistance to chips and scratches. The company gives a guarantee for it – 9 years.
- Expertise Tefal – has a surface with a 3D holographic effect and has a service life that significantly exceeds similar parameters of previous developments.
- TEFAL Emotion – made of stainless steel, has a universal bottom for all types of stoves.
What to Look for When Choosing a Titanium Coated Cookware?
Titanium coating is an essential characteristic of cookware with non-stick properties. Therefore, scrutinizing the coating before buying is very important. The surface should be smooth to the touch.
But not only it alone determines the quality and durability of the product. You should also evaluate a titanium cookware according to the following criteria:
- Body material: It is preferable to choose pans made of cast aluminum. But some dishes cook better in steel pans. Therefore, you need to focus primarily on your needs.
- Bottom thickness: For the preparation of meat dishes, it must be at least 5 mm.
- Dimensions: This should correspond to the diameter of the burner and the volume of dishes you will cook on it.
- The form: In addition to round ones, square and oval pans are also available. The square shape allows you to fit more steaks or pancakes, while the oval shape is excellent for cooking fish. If the pan is used mainly for frying, you should choose a product with a flat bottom. If for stewing – with rounded sides.
- Lid: A removable handle is preferred. This pan is more convenient to store and can be used for baking.
For an induction cooker, you should buy dishes with a magnetic bottom. It has a corresponding pictogram on the packaging or bottom.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Titanium Coating
Titanium cookware, like other household cookware, have pros and cons. The advantages of these products include:
Advantages of Titanium Cookware
- The possibility of frying without fat, without burning and sticking to its products
- Good tolerance to high temperatures
- Lack of pores, which does not allow the absorption of odors
- Ease of maintenance – easy to clean with just warm water, allows the use of a dishwasher.
- They have a long service life, especially with plasma spraying.
Disadvantages of Titanium Cookware
- Although pans have some scratch resistance and you can gently stir them with metal spatulas and spoons, they require cautious handling.
- The service life of the coating depends on how it is applied. The lowest is for the rolling method.
- High cost of products.
The choice of a non-stick pan should be approached responsibly, considering all the criteria listed above. Then it will last a long time and delight you with high-quality cooked food.
Hello! I’m Paula Deen, a mother who loves to create memories in the kitchen. As a kitchen enthusiast, I love to do experiment with different kitchenware for daily recipes. This is my blog, where I’ll share my experience, knowledge, and reviews on various kitchenware and appliances.