Replacement lids for pots and pans – how to measure pan lid size and material: An essential part of the dishes, without which it is difficult to cook a good dish, is a pan lid. Without a lid, the food becomes dry. But buying a replacement lid is not always easy. Therefore you must measure the lid’s size correctly.
Replacement Lids for Pots and Pans – How to Choose the Size and Material?
The cover has several vital functions:
- Retain a large amount of moisture in cooking food
- Create a closed space, contributing to quick cooking
- Prevent splashing of fat and juice
- Protect the finished dish from airing or ingress of dust, foreign objects, etc.
The lid for the pan is selected according to several criteria, considering its suitability for the bottom, purpose, material, etc. It is important to correctly measure the pan’s diameter at home or in the store.
Cap Shape and Size
For the pan to close tightly, the dimensions and shape of the upper and lower parts must match. Choosing the same top for round products and a square or rectangular grill pan will be best. Before measuring the lid’s diameter and determining the dish’s size, you must correctly select the diameter or length and width.
When the container is in use, the pan’s lid rests on a shallow groove at the edge of the cookware’s body.
The pan’s diameter is measured by the inner corner, formed by the difference in the container’s width. Some dishes do not have such a rim, and their edge remains even. Now, the diameter is measured along the inner surfaces of the walls. Also, a cover with a special protrusion along the edge is selected.
Square containers are measured according to the same principles, but you must take 2-measurements. Length and width must be measured, even if they visually look the same.
The lid will rest on the notch in the pan’s edge, measured from edge to edge through the center. The diameter must match the measurement taken from the body.
If there is no recess in the pan, choose the tops of a different type with a curved edge. The protrusion’s size determines the product’s diameter on the inside. The edge protruding above it will rest on the walls of the container and should not be narrower than 1 cm.
The lid press is designed to press the meat to the bottom of the pan. Its size is slightly smaller than the diameter of the container (0.5-1 cm around the perimeter).
Most often, in the finished kit, both parts are made of the same material. But with self-selection, you can stop at the following options:
- The glass lid is made of thick material resistant to high temperatures. Its advantage is its spectacular form and the ability to observe the cooking process without unnecessarily opening the container. Glass can be washed in the dishwasher and used when baking dishes in the oven if the items have heat-resistant handles. The disadvantages of glassware include high fragility.
- Stainless steel allows you to make products of any shape, design, and size. You can use a universal steel lid for pans and pots on any type of cookware, suitable for use in the oven.
- Wooden discs are made for cooking pilaf and similar dishes that require moisture preservation inside the container. A wooden lid on a wok pan will allow you to use it as a cauldron and cook many dishes of Central Asian cuisine that require long-languishing. You should not wash wooden products in the dishwasher. Before storage, they are dried in the air. It is advisable to wipe the surfaces with alcohol once every 3-4 weeks to destroy bacteria.
- Heavy products made of cast iron or cast aluminum are used in conjunction with the same containers. It is good to stew meat and vegetables in a thick metal stewpan. The thick top prevents heat from escaping from the inside of the pan, and food cooks evenly and quickly. You can wash both by hand and in the dishwasher.
- The anti-boil silicone lid is light and handy. It has 2- handles along the edges, and a recessed center serves as a boiled-off liquid or foam container.
It allows you to open it safely. Some metal models have a molded handle made of the same material as the body. When the cookware is heated, the handle also becomes hot. It requires careful handling and the use of a pot holder. Modern cookware often comes with plastic (bakelite) handles of a convenient shape. They can be safely taken by hand and opened without fear of burning your fingers.
When choosing, you should pay attention to the convenience of the shape, material, and reliability of the fastening of the handle. If you plan to put the pan in the oven often, it is better to choose a cast, stainless steel, or silicone handle. These materials withstand heating to high temperatures, do not melt, and do not emit strong odors. The plastic handle can warp or melt, give off a strong smell, and ruin your food.
What is the Bezel for?
There is always a thin metal or silicone rim on the edge of the glass lid. It is designed to perform several functions:
- Protects the edge from chipping during accidental impacts
- Provides a snug fit to the inner corner of the recess on the edge of the pan
- Minimizes the effect of the heated metal on the metal body
The choice of the rim material is made depending on its use in microwave ovens. Only a silicone rim is suitable for microwaves, but you must also select a non-metallic handle.
It is believed that the metal rim adheres more tightly to the walls of the pan and creates more significant tightness. If dishes are often stewed or stewed in a pan, then metal rims should be preferred.
On universal metal covers, the rim along the edge is replaced by a stamped part. It has the same name and serves to preserve steam better in a pot or pan.
Such a rim is formed by a protrusion slightly pubescent relative to the edge of the housing walls. An enlarged part passes over the edge, which allows the lid not to fall into the container and closes the gap between the ledge and the walls of the dish.
Several lid models have devices for the convenience of homemakers. These include:
- A funnel is a part with which you can pour liquid without opening the pan. With funnels, sauce, broth, and wine are added to the center of the pan and spread evenly over the container.
- The steam outlet allows you to reduce the pressure inside of the dish boils intensely. The lid may move when there is no hole, or some liquid will leak onto the plate.
- The steam control valve is an improvement on the simple orifice. It works when the pressure becomes critical but does not release moisture at a low boil.
How Do You Clean a Pan Lid?
Unlike the case, the bottom of which is very hot from the hot surface of the stove, there are practically no carbon deposits on the lid. You can wash it with a soft sponge using dishwashing detergent. If the fat and juice on the lid form a dried crust, the hard side of the sponge will help. You can clean stubborn stains with baking soda or table salt.
Soot spots may form on the lid when baking dishes in the oven. An enameled or glass product is cleaned with the rough side of a sponge using detergents or cleaners. Aluminum or polished stainless scratches will spoil, so it is worth soaking the product for 1-2 hours in a warm soapy soda solution. After that, you can wash off the soot without effort.
Hello! I’m Paula Deen, a mother who loves to create memories in the kitchen. As a kitchen enthusiast, I love to do experiment with different kitchenware for daily recipes. This is my blog, where I’ll share my experience, knowledge, and reviews on various kitchenware and appliances.